Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Yin Yang Yo: Finding Intrigue In Garbage TV

6:13 PM · Feb 28, 2021 "carl the evil cockroach wizard human boy"
[Image ID: A screencap of Yin, Carl, and Yang as humans. Yin is a white girl with a pink bob cut. Carl is a tall white boy with casual clothes and a cape. Yang is a white boy with a round hand and round tufts of hair sticking up. /End ID]

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yin Yang Yo! is a bad show and I don't like it.

9:49 AM · Feb 27, 2021 "this show makes me uncomfortable..."
10:24 AM · Feb 27, 2021
"
this show has hurt gay people"
6:14 PM · Feb 28, 2021
"also im kinda uncomfortable with how much dating and shipping is in this show with 11 year olds"

I don't really think I need to get into why I hated Yin Yang Yo! past, you know, the tweets... I also don't really like to talk about things I hate about F-Tier shows. Like at this point you can assume it's either everything or one thing just upset me so so so much. (Yin Yang Yo! falls into the former category.) Instead I'll just talk about aspects of Yin Yang Yo! that intrigued me.

I think it is funny because I did enjoy the show as a kid. Kyle Massey sung the theme song, which I thought was cool because we all thought Kyle Massey was cool in 2006. It had a lot of the same humor as Fairly Oddparents, due to being created by Bob Boyle, and I hadn't gotten sick of that comedy style yet. I was also fascinated with it because it was the first kids' show I watched to use words like "crap" and "suck," which is super common now. (To the point where children no longer consider them cusses?!?)

Funnily enough, this show also had lore in the form of the Big Bad, The Night Master, who I was utterly uninvested in. Additionally, there was a recurring nonbinary character. Unfortunately, the nonbinary character was.... erm....

10:22 AM · Feb 27, 2021 "thank god i have vivid memories of yuck"
4:31 PM · Feb 27, 2021
"
THE FIRST NONBINARY DISNEY CHARACTER? SHUT UP? SHUT THE FUCK UP?"

[Image ID: A screencap of Yuck from Yin Yang Yo! /End ID]


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4:34 PM · Feb 27, 2021 "WAIT I FORGOT ABOUT ZOIT. THANK YOU ZOIT.... YOU'VE DONE SO MUCH FOR ME PERSONALLY...."[Image ID: A screencap of Zoit from Lloyd in Space /End ID]


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yeah... if I recall correctly, Yuck is canonically part girl and part boy, as he is a weird sort of fusion of Yin and Yang. However, Yuck uses he/him pronouns exclusively, and isn't really made by anyone who thinks super hard about gender, so take this as you will.

Zoit is also kind of a weird example, as they chose a gender at the end of the episode they were featured it, but kept it a secret, but I digress. Let's talk more about Yin Yang Yo villains the only source of intrigue in this show.

There's Smoke and Mirrors, two very over the top anime characters in an already anime-esque show

[Image ID: A screencap of Smoke and Mirrors, two anime-esque humanoid creatures. /End ID]
 

There's Saranoia... who sucks shit. And Ultimoose, who is worse...

9:30 AM · Feb 27, 2021 "i dont care that the villain disrespects women and that's what makes him a villain.... i dont want to watch show with moose who hate woman"

Actually I only want to talk about Carl the Evil Cockroach Wizard, because he's kind of the best character.

9:58 AM · Feb 27, 2021 "i think carl the evil cockroach wizard did so much for gay people"
11:40 AM · Feb 28, 2021
"how do you do fellow teens"
[Image ID: A screencap of Carl dressed like a cool teenager on a skateboard. /End ID]

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I wouldn't say he's the best in that he's a "good" character or anything like that, but I am fascinated by him. He's the main antagonist of the series, and a rather pathetic one at that, usually having to deal with his mother, who does not respect him, and his brother Herman, who is better than him in almost every way. When I was a kid, I kind of assumed Carl was like... a grown adult (maybe like a 30-to-40-something?) who lived with his mom (because a lot of shows with that Fairly OddParents creative crew made jokes like that), but as I got into the show as an adult I kind of realized... He's supposed to be a teenager, isn't he? But the thing is he doesn't really sell it except for when he's discussing the fact that he's going through puberty, and maybe also in his human form shown above.

6:12 PM · Feb 28, 2021 "is carl supposed to be like... a child? i guess it makes more sense if he is but idk he came off as like a pathetic adult to me............. there's like a joke about carl going thru puberty which implies he might be a kid or possibly he's trans"

According to the Yin Yang Yo! wiki, Carl is 16. My friend said it was probably because I was young, but I was 12-14 when this show came out, not much younger than Carl, and certainly old enough to differentiate a teen from an adult.

Herman was an even worse case. I still have no fucking idea how old he is.

7:42 PM · Feb 28, 2021 "carl is a teenager this is said in multiple yyy wikis one wiki says herman is 18 but he has a master's degree. i guess he's an adult either way but that's two very different adult times."

I googled the youngest person with a masters, and I found that Tiger Woods won the masters at age 21. I then shook my head to myself, thinking "No... Not that masters..." I scrolled down even further and saw that age was 16. He must have recently got that masters or something. In addition, my research found that Herman may be Carl's younger brother from some official website information I read. Anyway the moral of this story is cartoon canon is fucked up and made up look at this funny picture of Carl.

 
[Image ID: A screencap of Carl wearing an advert with a shoe on it and a fake mustache, while he holds another fake mustache. /End ID]


Overall Rating For Yin Yang Yo!: F Tier

No comments:

Post a Comment