Friday, September 30, 2022

The Replacements: Like a Lot of Other Shows

9:28 AM · Mar 11, 2021 "[agent k voice] you're cancelled"

A lot like Alice's Wonderland Bakery, I had a lot of trouble placing my thoughts on this show. I caught a lot of ads for this show as a kid, and even then, I never watched it because I was convinced it wasn't a real show. Just from theme alone, it felt like a joke, kind of similar to how I felt about The Ghost and Molly McGee's theme.

I think I ultimately landed on "the show is entertaining, but it's a little bit edgy or even passive aggressive with its humor," and retrospectively speaking it's somewhat forgettable.

7:05 PM · Mar 6, 2021 "shows that are kinda funny but also disrespect women"
3:05 PM · Mar 9, 2021
"I’m enjoying the replacements so far but at the same time there’s just some jokes that make me double take. Not enough to make me angry. But enough to annoy me. A tad"
8:22 AM · Mar 11, 2021 "i watched 9 episodes of this show and i still dunno how to feel about it..."
8:28 AM · Mar 11, 2021 "it's not as hateful as something like yin yang yo, but there's definitely a passive aggressive energy from it. especially emanating from todd and the motherfuncling car"
8:59 AM · Mar 11, 2021
"me: i dont know how to feel about this show
show: hits me with a transphobic joke
me: i know how to feel about this show"

The show feels like a better fit for early 2000s Disney, considering the show has a bit of a 1960s vibe, what with the colors and Peanuts dancing in the theme, and some of the cast included. Though it has a similar sense of humor to shows like Dave the Barbarian, the style is more like Teamo Supremo.

7:02 PM · Mar 6, 2021 "i really like the theme for replacements. it feels full of homage"
7:16 PM · Mar 6, 2021
"
illya motherfuncle is in this show..."

And a lot like Gummi Bears, most of my enjoyment of the show came from overanalyzing the girl character. 

3:26 PM · Mar 9, 2021 "i think riley's my fave character in replacements in a really similar way to how sunni was my fave in gummi bears. i'm interested in what more can be done with them"

It's made pretty evident in the show that Riley is dealing with some trauma from her unhappy childhood. She'll often drop a comment or two about her trauma every so often, usually under strain, and I think about how she uses Fleemco as a means of regaining control over her life. Albeit it's not the best option, but I think I'm still proud of her for it.

2:23 PM · Mar 9, 2021 "i like that the show touches on riley's less than ideal childhood. riley i think counts as trauma rep.... todd too but riley in a relatable way i dont kin riley i dont"
9:20 AM · Mar 11, 2021 "every time i wanna say something about riley i feel like everyone is gonna point at me and say "kinnie" she's just kind of relatable is all"

Unfortunately, Riley's writing is... Not all that good. In Todd episodes especially she comes off as really annoying. Usually she'll be used to give a moral to whatever selfish thing Todd's doing, which, you know is fair, but it does strain her character a bit to be the moral compass. Also, sometimes Todd is in the right?

2:59 PM · Mar 9, 2021 "the problem inherent with riley especially in todd focused episodes is that she is a neoliberal."
3:07 PM · Mar 9, 2021
"
I think Riley deserves better writing. There’s something about her character that could be really thought provoking if just written better"
8:00 AM · Mar 11, 2021
"
i wish this show treated riley better"

Oh well at least they made her trans in season 2.

5:18 PM · Mar 10, 2021 "im gonna have to watch some season 2 for this"
[Image ID: A screencap of Riley from The Replacements in season 2. Her belt is now supporting the trans flag colors. /End ID]

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yeah, like American Dragon, Replacements also goes through a season 2 makeover, though not as intense. It's just a mild style and palette change, and the humor remains the same.

Oh and also...

7:27 AM · Mar 11, 2021 "so most season 2 eps are 22 minutes...."

Honestly, part of me thinks having full length episodes is not as great as having 11 minute ones, but again, in retrospect, I remember the shorter episodes as much as I do the longer ones. In fact, the episode I remember the most, "Late Night With Todd and Riley" is a 22 minute episode! 

I think the easiest comparison you can make for The Replacements might be The Fairly Oddparents. While the plots aren't ultimately identical, they both involve miserable kids wishing things are different and learning the consequences of those actions, while still having better lives than they did. Also Daran Norris is goofy in them.

8:27 AM · Mar 11, 2021 "daran norris can only play one character and it shows. i kinda want to watch a show Like replacements but like. with better writing...."

I think Fairly Oddparents does better in terms of memorable characters and story, but Replacements does make me think more. It makes me think about what kind of show could be made if those making it could push the envelope a little more. Maybe make some harder hitting points about the kids' trauma instead of just being slightly offensive. 

Overall Rating for The Replacements: C Tier

No comments:

Post a Comment