Saturday, February 25, 2023

Star Darlings: A Supernova of a Failed Franchise

"is that your fucking fursona? that's cringe"
[Image ID: Vivica disapprovingly looking at Scarlet who is drawing something. /End ID]

"WISHWORLD" "Wishers are weirdos" "They set cakes ablaze and kill fish"

"Star darlings will predict the downfall of infrastructure in the United States"

GAY MOMENTS"
10:53 AM · May 8, 2021 "Cassie and Sage huge girlfriend moments" "“My dream come true is you sage” GAY GAY GAY"
10 "GAY PEOPLE."

[Image ID: Sage and Cassie holding each other's hands. /End ID]

 

 

 

 

 

Honestly, I really enjoyed Sage, but other than this scene, I was not huge on Cassie.

There's also Scarlet, the punk girl with a heart of gold. She's actually genuinely interested in Wishworld and its inhabitants, more so than any of the other girls, and sometimes it gets her in trouble.

"There’s a goth one" "Who has my NAME?"
"Scarlet ate 100 year old chocolate"

Leona is sort of the wannabe popstar of the group, and a character of interest, as the Star Darlings book I read was focused on her. She's actually pretty hyperfocused on things like music and fame, to the point where she'll hear that and focus on nothing else.

10:45 AM · May 8, 2021 "Leona is fucking great"

Vega was my least favorite of the girls, acting a bit self righteous, and just not that fun to watch.

"Vega listing all the girls in school with bad vibes"
11:09 AM · May 8, 2021 "Vega: we’re all different from one another that makes us special PLEASE STOP GIVING ME DANCE LESSONS"
11:15 AM · May 8, 2021 "Vega got a smooth star"
11:16 AM · May 8, 2021 "Man I don’t like Vega"
11:54 AM · May 8, 2021 "They’re letting the shitty. Blue one save the day"

And of course who could forget Libby? Straight, heterosexual Libby?

"Another Libby’s gun episode" "Everyone: one of the star darlings has a serious problem
Everyone: it’s Libby she’s straight"

"MO-J4 is queering heterosexuality"

"Oh each of the shorts is about a different girl. You don’t see any of piper but she’s just doing her thing"
1 "Adora made a picrew"

"What?????? The hell is going on????" "Oh shit? Random woman entering the special is the villain" "Grandma Badvibes"
1 "Behold the power of my rancid vibes" "Why is this special called the power of twelve if only five of them are fighting" "GRANDMA YOUR VIBES ARE ATROCIOUS" "She’s dead"

Clearly a lot of heart was put into it, but I'm still a bit lost as to why they only adapted the 12th book. The whole time, I was convinced they had all gone and granted their wishes in the first part, except Gemma, who was still there. Turns out this part 2 was more of a part 12.

But yeah, speaking of the books, by a stroke of luck, I found one of them in one of the community library boxes in my neighborhood! So back in June of 2022, I read Leona's Unlucky Mission. 

Immediately, I felt the terminology was tacky, as mentioned before (but again, it's not for me). There was a side plot about the roommates starting to hate each other, and it was particularly bad with Leona and Scarlet. Leona actually didn't go to Wishworld until halfway through the book, during which she helps a boarding school girl compete in her school's talent show. Of course, the wish itself isn't about the talent show, but about the girl getting close to her sister. The second half of the book was a lot more likeable than the first half, but I found myself wondering "Why is it called Leona's Unlucky Mission?" Anyway it essentially ended with Leona's Wish Pendant burning. SO I GUESS THAT'S WHY. Was it a good book? Not at all. Did it give me context for The Power of Twelve? A little. I'm still confused.

And really it's that confusion that makes Star Darlings, an overall decent show, fall flat.

Overall Rating For Star Darlings: B Tier


No comments:

Post a Comment