Sunday, April 10, 2022

Talking about Raw Toonage with Bonkers counts as a Bonkers Double Feature, right?

9:31 PM · Dec 17, 2020 "bonkers being big in japan is.... something. i dont think bonkers should be popular anywhere...."

Talking about Raw Toonage and Bonkers in the same blogpost because, honestly, I have little to say about both of them. It may be for the best to start out with Bonkers, since I think people are most interested in that. That is to say I got exactly one DM about it from a friend who enjoyed the show.

Inversely, I can't stand it.

Bonkers is one I have an interesting past with. I watched it for the first time in the early aughts during a Disneyworld vacation. Then I never watched it again until my 20s. Some friends were streaming cartoons. We had Bonkers. Sam and Max. Johnny Bravo.

I didn't like any of them.

I think a lot of my biggest issue with Bonkers is one I also have with Sam and Max, and that's that it is insanely fast paced. I'm not usually one for slow shows, but if something is all over the place, it's a bit too much for me to follow or take in.

I think the other problem we had was that we were watching one of the earlier episodes which had...

4:30 PM · Dec 17, 2020 "piquel died"
4:30 PM · Dec 17, 2020
"
HE'S STILL ALIVE FUCK"

...Lucky Piquel... 

Disregarding the fact that as of late I can hardly stomach one Jim Cummings voice role in a cartoon. Piquel just doesn't really hit the mark as a foil to Bonkers. He's no nonsense, but in a funkilling and somewhat selfish way. He seems like the kind of guy who wants to be the star of his own cop drama but got sucked into this world of crazy toons.

Contrast Miranda Wright, who's considerably more respectful of Bonkers and goes with the flow, allowing this Toon Cop story to play out in the funny way, but still keeping things grounded when she needs to be the straight woman.

This makes it so they're a dynamic team and not just a guy being annoyed by a toon. It also allows for more natural stories like "Do Toons Dream of Animated Sheep" which involves Miranda and Von Drake trying to figure out what's wrong with Bonkers' dreams.

7:54 PM · Dec 17, 2020 "darkwing duck is here :-)"
7:56 PM · Dec 17, 2020
"
bonkers sheep tulpa"

 The gimmick of Bonkers is that there's a lot of toons in it. The Lucky seasons have some funny characters like Fallapart, who is nothing but his gimmick. However, overall, the seasons have their fair share of characters like Von Drake, Darkwing Duck, Mad Hatter, and March Hare. 

This makes me realize why I liked it as a five or six year old, but as an adult... Not so much.

8:17 PM · Dec 17, 2020 "like on one hand, bonkers including other disney characters is neat but on the other hand if i wanted that i would watch house of mouse."
8:17 PM · Dec 17, 2020
"
across 8 episodes one joke made me laugh (on par with little mermaid) but idont remember what the joke was ahahaa" 

For a comedy show, it just wasn't that funny... It didn't offend the senses immensely, but it wasn't very good at all...

Overall Rating for Bonkers: E Tier 

Now I haven't really discussed Bonkers as a character yet and that's because I wanted to do that for Raw Toonage. Bonkers is technically a spin off of Raw Toonage if I recall correctly, with the Bonkers shorts being something of an in universe film. Roger Rabbit is usually the parallel people draw in this regard. (Honestly, I did not enjoy Roger Rabbit either so make of that what you will.)

The Bonkers shorts themselves are of a similar quality to the show. That is, inoffensive, but still lacking any real quality to them, but I think they show off a sort of vibe that I think Disney was going for at the time, along with some of its new shorts as a whole. 

It was the era of Tiny Toons and Animaniacs. WB cartoons were making a comeback, and Disney felt as though they had to do something like that or risk losing their audience.

So essentially, they make a plethora of cartoons staring new characters: Bonkers, the ...somehow??? temporarily acquired Marsupilami, Sebastian, and more! And they make Looney Tunes esque shorts out of them. Give them that WB edge. That 90's edge! Make them stick out.

It made them boring. At best.

Aside from Bonkers and Mars, Raw Toonage had Totally Tasteless Video, which was really whatever it wanted to be. Primarily it did a lot of parodying other forms of animation. Two of which I want to talk about.

Badly Animated Man is, exactly what the name implies. He's a superhero with some of the limited animation you may see in various 60s to 80s superhero shows. This was one of my favorite shorts, as I do enjoy limited animation as a way to express oneself through art. However, joke wise it very much comes off as something that is meant for like. A nerdy 14 year old kid who's just learning about animation errors.

The other is Robin Hoof, a parody short about Robin Hood, but he's a cow. The short seems like it takes a lot from Fractured Fairy Tales, for those of you who watch Rocky and Bullwinkle. I gotta wonder if it was something someone wanted to do back when Disney was considering a Rocky and Bullwinkle reboot. I guess I'm kinda glad that never came to fruition because Robin Hoof... Wasn't that good, and that made me kind of sad.

There's also the host segments, done by various characters. While I was trying to recall what TTV stood for, I found one of Don Karnage and Captain Hook I never saw before, which was interesting, if just because of my comic-nerd self recalling how often Captain Hook would just show up in Duck comics.

Really now, they should have put him in Ducktales 2017.

It seems unfair, but I think Mars might be tanking the Toonage ranking. I'll explain why soon.

Overall Rating of Raw Toonage: E Tier

No comments:

Post a Comment