Thursday, January 26, 2023

All Those Popular Shows You Like (Gravity Falls, Star Vs, and The Owl House Triple Feature)

"WHY WOULD YOU INVITE PEOPLE OVER WHEN THE HOUSE IS A WITNESS"

Gravity Falls are The Owl House are just okay. [I am immediately pelted with garbage]  Also Star Vs. sucked. [I am immediately met with applause]

I decided to talk about all three of these shows in one big serving because, lord, everyone has fucking talked about all three of them to death. I don't really have all that much to add to the conversation.

Gravity Falls was one that I actually was proper obsessed with, and I really liked Bill Cipher a lot. He was sort of this chaotic creature and fun to be around. Then season 2 happened.

Honestly, it's kind of funny. Gravity Falls is usually considered the cartoon version of Twin Peaks, but when it came to both shows, I fell off during the second season. For Twin Peaks, I think stuff just got a little too hokey for me. And for Gravity Falls, I just hated the direction the show was going in. I did not think Bill had the motivation or intimidation to be the series' big bad. I did not like Ford. At all. I hated the twin twist and I hated him as a character.

But Gravity Falls was still a funny show, and it got a bunch of kids (my 18 year old self included in "kids") into codes and mystery solving, which is really cool.

I also watched Inside Job recently, which Alex Hirsch didn't create, but did write on, and I find myself of the opinion that Alex Hirsch is just kind of better in adult animation. He's the right amount of edgy and hokey for the adults of my generation, and I hope whatever his next project is, it's once again an adult show.

Okay that's the show I actually watched in full, let's talk about the other two that I didn't.

I'm told Star Vs. gets better and then gets a lot worse, and that it's essentially indulgent shipping crap for the teens who were watching it. I only watched season 1 though, and that was boring, and it made me totally unmotivated to keep going. And I don't really think it was the lack of lore either. You guys have seen my tierlist. Episodic shows like The Weekenders and Darkwing Duck are on the same level as story-driven shows like Elena of Avalor and Motorcity, and there's even some in between like Kim Possible and Wander Over Yonder.

Star Vs. just came off as pretty tryhard to me. Which is going to be so funny when I finally get to shows most people think are tryhard like Pickle and Peanut, but Star Vs. really went for like the tryhard quirkiness I was into in like, middle school, and came waaaaay too late for me. 

As for the season 1 villains, Ludo and Toffee were... okay I guess? I usually like more competent villain sidekicks like Toffee, but he was kind of a bit underwhelming, and Ludo kind of made me wish I was watching Dave the Barbarian again. Which, my rule is if I'm watching a show, and I get a bit nostalgic for a mid Disney show, that show probably isn't going to be very good.

Finally, we're onto Owl House, which is, in my opinion, the best of the bunch. Yet even now I'm hesitant to discuss it, considering a new episode just dropped.

I'll be totally honest, I didn't really get into the series, I watched the 13 episodes I was told to watch and left, despite pleas that it does get better. And it's like. It's a good show. It's got an intriguing story, a really great and relatable protagonist, some funny moments, and a goofy romcom styled lesbian couple, but there's just two characters in it that turn me off from the show... Amity and Eda.

"God I hate Amity..."
10:18 PM · Jul 1, 2021 "Amity fucking sucks" "The fact that Willow is still bullied by Amity even tho she’s shown herself a competent plant witch. Bitch." "This show annoys me"
6:30 PM · Jul 5, 2021 "Amity Tsundere moments"
"Scalding Take: Amity is Literally a Binky Barnes Character"

Amity's whole character was kind of rushed. And I don't necessarily mean the romance aspect of it. Luz and Amity becoming a couple was the most enjoyable part of that! I think it was a bit cheesy, but like, it's the good amount of cheese that straight people get.

9:21 PM · Jul 5, 2021 "ok few last thing about owl house... i get a lot of formerly repressed woman vibes from it. i think some stuff seaped through also luz and amity's love story. i do know they are canon but like. it's got some good and interesting setup"
9:22 PM · Jul 5, 2021 "ranks pretty high on the organic gay scale. gives me weird romcom vibes but for gay people."

Really, I just wasn't keen on Amity going so strongly from unlikable bully to ally of the other kids. I don't necessarily mean Amity should have been nicer, or meaner for more episodes. I just think that the transition could have gone a little smoother.

As for Eda...

"Eda fucking sucks dude." "Eda is a creachure. They ought to keep her like this" "If you’re gonna loom the threat of Eda being a cursed creechur then commit."
10:19 PM · Jul 1, 2021 "Eda has the DNA selected to grow feathers"

7:14 PM · Jul 5, 2021 "Fucking hate Eda. Hate hooty also"
10:44 PM · Jul 5, 2021 "eda's like a girl mix of rick sanchez and waldo wiggleswoth and if she was less rick and more waldo i would probably respect her a lot more"
"also she's literally a giant owl monster how do you mess that up?" "disregarding my thoughts on eda has anyone like... strongly disagreed with any of my disney takes so far. things seem controversal to me but mostly ppl just get mad that i didnt rank their faves high enough."

My dislike of Eda is admittedly pretty personal, as she reminds me of a former boss I was not keen on. I'll spare the details but I remember she once texted me asking me to testify for her the day I testified against her in an investigation. 

I really enjoyed Eda's owl curse a lot, as you can SEE!! I also really enjoyed how they sort of had it act as a chronic illness metaphor that Eda had to live with and sort of take medicine frequently for to keep under control.

Oh it’s a metaphor for diabetes"

But Eda as a character? Not for me. Hooty I'm told, gets better.

10:08 PM · Jul 1, 2021 "Stop telling me everyone gets better"

And you know... If I'm being honest, I'm not that big on King either.

"Why are they doing horror shit with king."
7:37 PM · Jul 5, 2021 "Hoooooooooooooo king is the most hit or miss character"

But back to Eda. Honestly, While Luz and Eda do have a good dynamic, I've actually found myself thinking a lot about the show and how characters foil Luz. I kind of found myself wishing that Luz had befriended Gus, considering both are nerds for the other's world and could have this really fun sibling-like relationship. Also Gus just happens to be my favorite character besides Luz, and I find myself a little disappointed how shafted he gets in season 1.

10:43 PM · Jul 1, 2021 "owl house is actually like. the opposite of the proud family in that the friends are the only ones i like." "GUS EP????"
7:14 PM · Jul 5, 2021 "Imagine getting bullied by a kid w a bowlcut" "Liar Reveal Trope Gus Episode. Disappointing"
7:43 PM · Jul 5, 2021 "Gus is so funny I wish his episode wasn’t fucking tropes"

Another set of characters I really enjoyed were Amity's siblings. I think they're a lot of fun because they're more cartoonish than her. Not to mention still somewhat friendly to be around. I think they both have that likeable jerk angle that was missing from Amity

"Amity’s siblings are so fucking funny they make me wanna merge without looking"

But I should talk about Luz more. She's my favorite character after all! She really was one of those characters who I would have latched onto if this show came out in middle school.

"Luz is a little cringe but she is 14 sooooooo"

I loved seeing a protagonist who was just as nerdy as I was and had a hard time getting along with other people in school. It feels like these days, being a nerd is more common. Hell. It was common when I was in middle and high school. But still, you never saw a nerdy girl character gushing about her geeky interests as a protagonist. (In addition, Luz is Afro-Latina, something else you didn't really see in protagonists back in the day!)

"You can just be a cop in this show" "AMITY WANTS TO BE A COP"
10:04 PM · Jul 1, 2021 "Eda’s sister is a cop..."

"i think the writing twists and turns too much. not explaining some things (amity's development felt hard to follow) while over explaining other things (eda's curse and how we know nothing about it)"

And before I go, I made another Disney Watch Song Sporcle! This one I think is easier? So maybe you'll enjoy it more? Take it if you like. I honestly make these mostly for myself and the two people who also really enjoy them.

Overall Rating for Gravity Falls: B Tier

Overall Rating for Star Vs. The Forces of Evil: D Tier

Overall Rating for The Owl House: B Tier

No comments:

Post a Comment