Thursday, August 11, 2022

Dave the Barbarian: Recognition of Self Through the Lousy 2000s Cartoon

3:33 PM · Feb 1, 2021 "nichijou"
[Image ID: A screencap of two Daves, but one has a windup key in his back /End ID]

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I'm not exactly sure what to call this era of Disney cartoons. They weren't on One Saturday Morning anymore. There were some on Jetix, but I'm gonna ignore those. The six shows spanning Dave The Barbarian to The Replacements feel so out snyc. 

Many of them aren't the slice of life shows we saw prior, instead going for a comedy angle. In addition, most, if not all of the shows had one character that Disney milked for girl appeal, usually resulting in things like fashion driven games on the Disney Channel website. Honestly, other than it being another show by Doug Langdale, I feel like Candy may have been the appeal for Disney. Which, honestly, I'm fine with, as Candy was probably one of my favorite characters in Dave the Barbarian.

5:50 PM · Jan 31, 2021 "me: why does candy sound so familiar? [looks up the wikipedia page] oh."

Whenever I tried watching this show as an adult, I always had a little bit of trouble getting back into it, which I never really understood. Like this was the guy who made The Weekenders, one of my favorite Disney shows, so what's the deal? But at the same time, as I mentioned in my Weekenders post, I think my humor, which was pulled from the Weekenders resulted in me making jokes that were like those in Dave the Barbarian.

2:08 PM · Feb 1, 2021 "the thing about dave the barbarian is like..... im sitting here and it feels like the show is making jokes i would make and idk how to feel about that. i dont think dave the barbarian was much of a comedic inspiration for me...."

A lot of lines like "All my dollies are in there, I mean weapons!" and "You only have ten toes" felt like jokes I would make, which sucks because they didn't really land. Dave the Barbarian as a whole is such a hit or miss show. It kind of made me feel seen in a really bad way. Aware of my flaws almost.

 Also Dave the Barbarian had a lot of kind of mean jokes about gender.

4:08 PM · Feb 1, 2021 "it's not like other shows haven't had transphobic or homophobic jokes but the ones in dave the barbarian are starting to get to me"
4:14 PM · Feb 1, 2021
"
there's probably been like3 jokes about a characters gender and hmmm idk...."

Like okay I can deal with homophobic and transphobic jokes in cartoons but man at least have the cartoon be consistently funny. Damn. 

I'm actually kind of surprised Dave the Barbarian didn't have that many episodes. It felt like it was advertised a whole bunch, and I remember watching it for the first time in the fourth grade before going to some school event. But no, it only had 21. Maybe it was because Dave the Barbarian was so out of sync. Disney was still transitioning into its next era, so eh

4:14 PM · Feb 1, 2021 "dave the barbarian is straight and has catholic guilt"

Though it still stayed pretty cartoony throughout the mid aughts, and the next show is a huge example of that.

 Overall Rating for Dave the Barbarian: C Tier 

No comments:

Post a Comment