Saturday, June 11, 2022

Rolie Polie Olie: This One Has Children Swearing in It

4:07 PM · Dec 30, 2020 "alice and i watched four eps of rolie polie olie today.... it's really simplistic but the last ep we watched was a mighty casey parody that had michael cera in it lol"

Alice is back. Honestly we watched this and PB&J Otter around the same time. Frankly, we had a lot more to say about Rolie Polie Olie. Overall, these are the thoughts.

1:12 PM · Dec 30, 2020 "Alice told me this person who made this worked on meet the robinsons and robots and like based on how the mom looks alone. Ya I get it"
6:29 PM · Jan 1, 2021
"the show is starting to grow on me but it still feels impossibly long?"
11:12 PM · Jan 3, 2021 "God rolie polie olie makes you feel like eternity has gone by"

First off, Meet the Robinsons. My thoughts on it are pretty basic. It's not my favorite Disney Movie of all time, but I can only think of one Disney related thing I cried harder at than the scene where Goob leaves his journal with Wilbur and Lewis and the next thing on his to-do list is "????" (Fun fact, the one thing I cried harder at is something I will be discussing in this blog pretty far down the line.)

But yeah, Meet the Robinsons is a solid Disney movie. The issue with Rolie Polie Olie, I think, is likely similar to my problem with PB&J Otter but more extreme. The aesthetics are amazing (more so as I am a huge fan of the atompunk/50s retrofuturism scene), but the show is slow almost to a halt.

What does make Rolie Polie Olie better than PB&J Otter in my eyes is charming characters. While I could probably tell you what kind of characters exist in PB&J Otter, I don't really know any of their names without looking them up. Until then, they're the annoying beaver. The even more annoying duck. The Poodles who are basically just the Dinks from Doug but snootier.

2:21 PM · Dec 30, 2020 "I love the way the Bevels look. Goth family"

You have little kid Olie, silly baby Zowie, bumbling dad Percy, Meet the Robinson's character Polina, the eerie grandpa, square shaped Billy Bevel and his goth family, even more eerie Gloomius Maximus, and of course. Uncle Gizmo, Percy's brother who looks like Elvis and acts like the kindest man you've ever met. I want to be friends with Uncle Gizmo.

6:37 PM · Jan 1, 2021 "i love uncle gizmo so much. he's cool. he's nice to children."

I'm gonna be honest, for a bit I kind of actively searched for Uncle Gizmo episodes because I thought he was so great. Though they aren't too hard to find. He shows up quite a bit.

Alice and I also had some bigger running gags with this one than with PB&J Otter, most notably our dark theory that Percy and Polina's marriage was on the rocks.

[Image ID: A Discord chat. Evil Lincoln Loud says "i think we might skip around. i don't remember it being this simple? do the parents from rolie polie olie have family guy husband wife syndrome? let's discuss?" i know more about ag than scar says "yeah that sounds good. they aren't speaking to each other at all. they might... divorce." Evil Lincoln Loud says "i thought the dad was bumbling." i kno more abt ag then scar says "I think he is but u kno they say that the pilot's never as good as the show proper." Evil Lincoln Loud says "adding them to the list of disney parents that will divorce soon. next to the needlemeyers." /End ID]

[Image ID: A discord chat. i kno more about ag than scar says "oh no they're gonna bbq the dad. in style." Evil Lincoln Loud says "advanced divorce." /End ID]

[Image ID: A Discord chat. Evil Lincoln Loud says "the sexy music." i kno more about ag than scar says "trying to save their marriage." /End ID]

Eventually I got bored of the early episodes and started to skip around.

12:38 PM · Jan 1, 2021 "i should not have skipped. there's a girl. and a pirate."
12:40 PM · Jan 1, 2021
"
weird pirate alien robot with depression"

Yeah we landed on "Give It Back Gloomius," an episode with Pollie Pi and Gloomius Maximus. The thing about Rolie Polie Olie is that it lasted quite a while. The early episodes were something I watched as a kid, being around 4 or 5 at the time and in that sweet spot demographic, but I never watched the movie. I think the latest episode in my childhood memories is "Round and Round and Square We Go," the episode where the Polies and the Bevels try to learn about each other's cultures in order to make their barbecue more fun for the other family. 

So yeah it was a bit disorienting. I did enjoy Gloomius though. He was a fun character who just needed to learn what it was like to be happy, which I think is fitting for a Rolie Polie Olie villain. Pollie... I had to look up her name which I think reflects well my thoughts on her.

Anyway let's talk about "Dinglie Danglie Doodle," the episode where Zowie swears like a sailor, because I had a LOT to say there.

6:22 PM · Jan 1, 2021 "alice told me today about an episode of rolie polie olie where zowie learns to swear so that'll be the next one i watch"
6:26 PM · Jan 1, 2021
"billy bevel does fucking nothing."
[Image ID: A screencap of Billy Bevel standing around uselessly. /End ID]


 

    

 

6:29 PM · Jan 1, 2021 "zowie when she swears"
[Image ID: A screencap of Zowie looking prideful and smug after swearing. /End ID]













6:31 PM · Jan 1, 2021
"rolie polie olie human au olie: Mom mom! did zowie just say fuck?"
6:33 PM · Jan 1, 2021
"she's PISSED..... percy is about to get those divorce papers"
[Image ID: A screencap of Polina storming off angrily. /End ID]

 

 

 

 

 

Much like all the shows I've mentioned, I think Rolie Polie Olie has some adult appeal to it in it's designs as well as if you're a William Joyce fan, but it does kinda cancel itself out with being as slow as it is. The show is kind of in the same boat as Gummi Bears was for me. It's a show I would want to like, and on paper, it's great. Just in practice.... eh...

Overall Rating for Rolie Polie Olie: C Tier

No comments:

Post a Comment