Friday, May 6, 2022

Ducks Part... Four?!?!??!?! (Legend of the Three Caballeros and Mighty Ducks)

12:57 PM · Dec 22, 2020 "i like it when tim curry calls them duckies"

I discussed characterizations of Donald Duck and all his friends. I rambled about how various characterizations are valid and how some don't work in every animated duck focused series. I talked about some of my favorite Duck comic and series characterizations. I left out House of Mouse and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse/Mixed Up Adventures/Funhouse, as those will be their own post. Or two.

Surely I covered all my bases.

No I didn't. I forgot Legend of the Three Caballeros.

This Ducks part 4 post was going to be a joke where I just talked about Mighty Ducks, as no one brought it up in the survey, but I did keep the definition of Duck media vague enough for it to be included. But I forgot about LOT3C, so I guess I gotta go over that first.

I think character wise, everyone agrees this is a pretty standard Donald Duck. Jose and Panchito are also pretty good. I noticed in the introduction that they kept some of the manipulative laziness Jose had from the comics. As for Panchito, he's in a lot more comics than I was expecting, but a huge majority are either US comics from the 1940s going off the popularity of the Three Caballeros release (and the ones I remember reading are kind of of their time) or Dutch comics that if they got a translation, it was into Finnish. This series characterized him as a bit of a dim witted oddball, and I feel like out of the main three, he might be the weakest.

There's also Donald's love life, which is a nightmare to sit through, but it gives us April, May, and June, who are a hoot and a half. Sheldrake and Feldgoose are also fun, but very much in that "meme character" sort of way. Also Xandra is there.

Really what interests me is how insane duck fans went over this show. Legend of the Three Caballeros was quietly released on DisneyLife in the Phillipines sometime in summer 2018. Someone brought it up on 4chan. 4chan went crazy. Twitter went crazy. Tumblr went crazy. If I recall correctly this was a worldwide thing, with a French publication telling kids there's a new Three Caballeros cartoon, but it's only in the Phillipines, which I spent the last hour looking for and couldn't find. Any French fans remember what I'm talking about LMK.

I tend not to be in fandoms when big events like that are happening, so that was a bit exciting for me, and the show was fine, so net good.

Okay let's talk about Mighty Ducks.

11:54 PM · Dec 21, 2020 "the hockey christianity.... im gonna like this show aren't i?"
11:55 PM · Dec 21, 2020
"
this show feels so much like a religious allegory...."
12:20 AM · Dec 22, 2020
"
I’m liking mighty ducks. Yes it’s probably because it’s a show tailor made for me but it’s nice. Evil Tim curry dragon" 
Mighty Ducks has a lot of things I look for in a show. Anthropomorphic ducks, Christianity metaphors I could clown on, science fiction slants, fourth wall jokes, hockey. Naturally, I was really expecting to like this show. But.... ehhhhh...

10:18 AM · Dec 22, 2020 "i really hate tanya's voice.... like who directed april winchell to sound as awful as possible?"
10:30 AM · Dec 22, 2020
"this cast is actually pretty amazing imho but everyone sounds awful and idgi...."
7:41 AM · Dec 25, 2020
"
I’m thinking about mighty ducks again like it has all the things I love (cartoon birds, scifi, an amazing cast I love, fourth wall jokes, hockey), so I should love it, but it kinda falls flat in its characters and direction"

Much like Rescue Rangers, it was not super fun to listen to, though this time it was primarily due to voice direction rather than sound effects.

The ducks themselves fell pretty flat too. It felt like this series was ultimately trying to do something similar to Gargoyles, but with a sillier tone, but it failed to realize that the characters in Gargoyles were interesting.

10:02 AM · Dec 22, 2020 "chameleon is a funny concept all he does is make references"
10:07 AM · Dec 22, 2020
"
i love the jim belushi furry capitalist"

 All the best moments are given to the Saurians (which I just realized... comes from the Greek word for lizard) and Stoner King Jim Belushi. Wraith and Chameleon in particular are amazing, but I feel like people would love Dragaunus and Siege just as much, if just for the voice actors (Tim Curry and Clancy Brown).

10:00 AM · Dec 22, 2020 "nosedive sounds like he's about to swear all the time"
I think Nosedive is probably the best of the Duck characters because he gets the most screentime to be good. He's kind of like the Bumblebee of the bunch. The kid appeal character who is basically just a hip teen trying to prove himself.

I don't have much to say about Mighty Ducks. I wanted to love it but overall was pretty eh on it.

With this, we're out of the Disney Afternoon and we can start with the One Saturday Morning block. This was where a lot more of my childhood was, so I might have some better backstory surrounding some of these shows.

Though we might have a bit of a break in between. We'll see...

I'll leave you with this.

9:50 AM · Dec 22, 2020 "watching disney shows"

[Image ID: A meme of an astronaut looking at the earth while another astronaut points a gun at them from behind. The first astronaut says "Wait, it's all neoliberal?" and the second astronaut says "Always has been." /End ID]



 

 

 

 

 

Overall Rating for Legend of the Three Caballeros: B Tier

Overall Rating for The Mighty Ducks: C Tier 

No comments:

Post a Comment