Friday, April 29, 2022

Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers: Yeah I'm just gonna talk about Gadget the whole time.

12:51 PM · Dec 11, 2020 "the three genders: guys, gals, and dudes"

When I got to Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers in the Disney Watch back in 2020, I did enjoy it quite a bit... save uh... One Major Thing...

11:20 PM · Nov 30, 2020this show is a very.... auditorily bad... like sound effects make me feel uncomfortable"5:53 PM · Dec 2, 2020 "i hate the audio in this show but the theme fucks"

However, the quality of Rescue Rangers episodes I watched was admittedly not the best. Maybe that was why I hated every noise coming from it save Gadget and the theme song. Say what you will about Disney+, but it has done a lot for high quality rips, and if I'm not paying for it, I'll gladly use it. Big shout out to my mom for letting me leech off her account from another country lmfao.

That being said, I figured maybe some high quality episodes will set aside my feelings of the audio being said. And it certainly didn't bother me near as much, but... it still did.

Rescue Rangers was a bit different from the rest of the shows in the Disney Watch, because in particular, I watched this show while working out, and ultimately I was pretty entertained by it. It's probably one of the cuter Disney Afternoon shows. Naturally, since it's about silly cartoon rodents doing silly cartoon rodent things and sometimes they save the day.

11:09 PM · Nov 30, 2020 "these pi-rats have been finding the same treasure for years. idrk what's going on but that part is cute"

A lot of crimes take place in the animal world, so they're lower stakes, but still fun.  

11:22 PM · Nov 30, 2020 "rodents in this show are a metaphor for the lgbt community" 

I don't know what I meant there, but I was right. 

Ultimately the weak point of the show is its characters. You can sense a bit of the 2010s kid show dynamic in this one, except there's four of them, and Chip is picking up any slack from the other three.

11:03 PM · Nov 30, 2020 "i used to be able to differentiate chip and dale but i dont know if i can now..... apparently aloha shirt is dale.... he's a jerk."

I eventually gained a bit more respect for Monterey Jack, though Chip and Dale. Less so. The villains in the show are really underwhelming too.

But there was one character I adored.

11:50 PM · Nov 30, 20205:37 PM · Dec 3, 2020 "rescue rangers is such a show because i hate everyone in it that isn't gadget but i love gadget sooooo much i like how neurodivergent coded she is and it feels really natural...."

Gadget Hackwrench, at her best, is a peppy scientist who speaks like a little boy in a 1950s sitcom. She's somewhat oblivious to any romantic advances towards her, and really, really, really likes to talk about science. One episode "Out to Launch" is essentially her just infodumping about space facts. Any time she gets a love interest, she's mostly just talking about science in a way that can be seen as platonic. Basically, she's autistic as all hell. It's something I really enjoyed about the show. She's just neurodivergent and vibing which makes the show feel really comfortable to me, as a science lover who is also neurodivergent and vibing. (Albeit, she's more of an engineer while I dabble more in neuroscience.)

Gadget at her best really does improve the quality of Rescue Rangers, though at her worst, she falls into the girl archetype and a love interest. Gadget being a love interest does add a layer of comedy, especially considering that she hardly cares, but her as the girl role is tired as hell. But it varies so much that I guess it depends on the writer. 

I never really looked at who wrote the episodes but Mark Edens seems to have done a ton I like, including "Out to Launch." He was on some Talespin and Disney Doug and apparently wrote the teleplay for Luck of the Irish if you're a DCOM fan. I've never seen Luck of the Irish though so maybe let me know if that's good.

I don't really have a bunch to say about Rescue Rangers. Originally, I was going to watch the movie coming out next month, but I kept hearing worse and worse things about it and the quality seems more and more lousy. Once you get to a certain point, you gotta ask yourself: "Am I actually going to enjoy this movie?" Turns out the answer is no and I don't really want to give Disney money for a dogshit product. So yeah, quick post for today. 

I do have a lot to say for the duck properties though, they're coming soon!

Overall Rating For Rescue Rangers: C Tier

No comments:

Post a Comment