Thursday, March 24, 2022

A little about the Disney Watch

So, back in October of 2020, I started a project on Twitter: That project being "I'm going to watch every Disney Channel Cartoon." Sounds easy enough... (It's actually a tedious nightmare)

I had some rules. Disney had to have a hand in making the cartoon (i.e. no imports). I did not want to do Marvel or Star Wars shows because I love myself. (I may change my mind about this.) Disney Junior and Playhouse Disney were fair game. No shows that were shorts. If I did a show it had to at least have a half hour specials (So something like Star Darlings was acceptable, while something like Two More Eggs was not). No compilation shows unless they had new content (So Raw Toonage was okay, while Donald Duck Presents was not). I would watch either majority of the series or 13 episodes, whichever was shorter (So with 13-episode Nightmare Ned, I would watch 7 episodes, and with the 87-episode Kim Possible, I'd watch 7). If I liked a show though I would go back to it. If I finished a show and had a strong memory of it, I would not go back.

I had a few shows on my list that were a bit iffy. Clerks: The Animated Series was not a Disney cartoon, but it was animated by DTVA. 1990's Madeline was originally an import, but Disney and ABC had a hand in later seasons. Stuff like that I decided to watch.

I got up to Monsters at Work... Albeit, around the time a lot more Monsters at Work (and also Chicken Squad) has been released.

The purpose of this blogspot is going to be twofold. First: I kind of hate Twitter. I always keep my account locked, and I'm usually deactivated. Therefore, this blogspot will serve as something of an archive. I'm not 100% how to go about this (leave a comment if you have ideas), but I'll likely make posts about various shows and post my collection of tweets about said shows. I also have a few theories about commonly seen aspects in shows, including naming and categorizing characters into tropes (i.e. "The Timon and Pumbaa") or wondering why certain tropes happen (i.e. "Why does this likeable character get bullied?") Those will come in gradually.

The other purpose of this blogspot is to have a place to write down opinions on new Disney shows, and shows I return to. The thing about animation is that the trends are always changing. So many of my friends adore The Ghost and Molly McGee, a show I have yet to see. In addition, people are talking about the Proud Family reboot, and as I enjoyed the original series, I look forward to seeing that.

Also Alice's Wonderland Bakery is one I'm ecstatic for, and if you are new here, you will see why soon.

Before I go, I'm going to bring up the tiermaker! This was made by my friend Tally, and can be found here if you wanna fill it out yourself.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/65fb18cfe8f5e929656898c53911b20c/27127f76d37061f3-a2/s1280x1920/6da8b334ea103d7e65e8cf20ce8dd7a139a893fa.jpg

Every show here is one I have opinions on, from the best show (Motorcity) to the worst (Space Chickens in Space). Some are likely to change (I still have more Chicken Squad and Monsters at Work to finish, and if I ever find more than one 11-minute episode of Jungle Junction, I intend to return to that one). 

But yeah, this is sort of an introduction to this project... As for myself. I'm a non-binary graduate student in my late 20's. I read a lot of psychology and neuroscience literature and not much else. I used to really love cartoons but this project has left me feeling jaded about them. I like to draw the same three things ad-infinitum, and everyone thinks I'm a hipster.

So yeah, welcome. Leave a comment on how you think I should go about this blog as an archive, or what you want to see my opinions on!

No comments:

Post a Comment